Why come to Ghana with Enliven Mama Africa?
Ghana – one of the beauties of Africa with its vibrant cities, stunning beaches, animal parks, rich history and energetic culture. It is known as one of the friendliest countries, with Ghanaians being extremely hospitable, particularly the children who will no doubt put a smile on your face.
Making an Impact:
Enliven Mama Africa’s key objective is to make a real difference to communities and therefore we work closely with local stakeholders to develop projects that provide as effective support for the communities. We have a team of enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff who will welcome you. As a volunteer, you will work on a number of different projects and we can guarantee your volunteering experience will be extremely rewarding and eye-opening.
Being a Non-Government Organisation
Enliven Mama Africa is an NGO in Ghana and although we ask for a donation, this is to cover volunteers’ expenses and to support our projects. Our values are to be transparent with how the donations are being spent and we try our utmost to keep expenses to a minimum so that a significant proportion of the funds are used to support those in need in the projects we work on.
Looking after Volunteers:
Before the trip: We appreciate that for many of our volunteers this may be your first time volunteering and therefore we see how important supporting you is. We will be able to fully advise you on flights, insurance, visas, the culture and language, money and any other questions you may have.
In Ghana: We have knowledgeable staff on hand to deal with any queries and they will be with you from the minute you step off the plane to the time you return to the airport.
Food – Our cooks will provide 3 meals a day, with a mixture of local and international dishes. There will also be fresh drinking water accessible at all times.
Post-trip: We will provide any support you require once you are back home, whether that be writing a reference for you, or perhaps finding out how you can stay involved in Enliven Mama Africa’s projects.
Having the Best Experience:
As well as making a significant impact on the lives of people in Ghana, we appreciate Ghana is an amazing country to explore, with so much to do and see.
Volunteers are based in Kumasi, the capital of the Ashanti Region of Ghana, which is a vibrant city with lots of attractions, such as the King’s Palace and colourful markets. Our team of staff will escort you to these during your free time in the evenings and weekends.
The location of Enliven Mama Africa also means it is perfect for reaching top tourist attractions in Ghana.We provide voluntary tourist excursions to the following places:
• Kintampo Waterfalls – one of Ghana’s many natural wonders. Volunteers will be able to swim and cool off by spending a few hours here as water cascades over a rock fixture.
• Mole National Park – the largest nature reserve in Ghana, and home to one of West Africa’s few elephant herds. Besides elephants, the park abounds with monkeys, baboons and antelopes. With our tourist package, volunteers will be able to sleep here for two nights and enjoy safaris to see a wide variety of animals.
• Kakum National Park – located in a lush rainforest in the Central Region of Ghana. Here, volunteers can walk along the forest’s canopy, which provides a unique birds-eye view of the forest.
• Cape Coast – the walls of Cape Coast Castle tell one of the most tragic stories in history, the deportation of African slaves to the Americas. It is important to visit such places and be aware of the grim realities of the world we’ve inherited. On our excursion to Ghana’s Central Region, volunteers will have the opportunity to tour this castle and hear the story of those who suffered here, as well relax on the stunning beaches.
• Lake Bosomtwe – a 30km drive from Kumasi sees you at some amazing crater lakes. Here you’ll stay for a couple of days in lake huts; swimming and relaxing in the lush waters or taking a walk into the mountains.
Volunteer Dates and Donation Costs
You will be picked up from Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana, and you can arrive and depart on either of the two dates given.
|TRP 1||2 weeks||27th or 28th Jan||10th or 11th Feb|
|TRP 2||2 weeks||10th or 11th Feb||24th or 25th Mar|
|TRP 3||4 weeks||31stMarch or 1 April||28th or 29th April|
|TRP 4||2 weeks||28th or 29th April||12th or 13th May|
|TRP 5||4 weeks||12th or 13th May||9th or 10th June|
|TRP 6||3 weeks||9th or 10th June||30th or 1st July|
|TRP 7||4 weeks||30th ro 1st July||28th or 29th July|
|TRP 8||4 weeks||28th or 29th July||25th or 26th Aug|
|TRP 9||3 weeks||25th or 26th Aug||15th or 16th Sept|
|TRP 10||2 weeks||15th or 16th Sept||29th or 30th Sept|
|TRP 11||2 weeks||29th or 30th Sept||13th or 14th Oct|
Please note: If you are interested in doing a shorter trip or a longer term placement, this is possible, so please get in contact with us
Enliven Mama Africa relies upon donations to help fund the work we do, alongside the support of our volunteers on these projects. We therefore ask volunteers for a minimum contribution in order to support the costs involved in working on our projects.
Initially you pay a £95 non-refundable fee (we use this to pre-book your transport, food and materials for the project work)
You will then be required to raise the following, dependent on the duration of your stay:
2 Weeks – Minimum donation of £650
3 Weeks – Minimum donation of £850
4 Weeks – Minimum donation of £1000
(This needs to be raised no later than 5 weeks before your departure date. We provide you with a donation page to make it easier for friends, family, etc…to donate)
What is covered in these costs:
– Airport pick-up and drop-off
– 3 meals a day and purified water
– All transport related to projects
– All project materials
– In-country staff support 24/7
– Facebook group to connect with other volunteers
What further costs volunteers are responsible for:
– Travel Insurance
– Travel Excursions (see below for our excursion package)
Optional Excursion Package
The package includes excursions to top destinations in Ghana, such as Kintampo waterfalls and Cape Coast. See more information here
The package also includes: Enliven Mama Africa t-shirts, the usage of a mosquito net, hand sanitizer, and a Ghanaian sim card.
Cost of Excursion
2 WEEKS– £150 Mole national park not included
Once you have filled in an application form, we will discuss the excursions with you so you can decide if you want to join us on them.